But despite the disappointment of missing out on a sixth triumph, he can take solace from the previous five and TSR’s selection of his ‘Five Best’ shots in competitive tennis.
1. This was the third occasion that Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer had battled it out for the Wimbledon title. Federer had claimed victory in 2006 and 2007. In 2008 it would be ultimately be the Spaniards year.
We were treated to one of the most exciting grand slam finals ever. This shot tops TSRs list purely for the steel and courage shown by the great champion when a Championship point down.
2. In 2003, the Federer era was just commencing. Andy Roddick is serving, and appears to have won the point with a smash at the net.
But Federer gives everyone an example of the vast array of spectacular shots that would become synomynous with the greatest player of all time.
3. In a repeat of 2008, Federer meets Djokovic again in the semi final of the US Open.
The World number four is serving to stay in the match. Already 0-30 down Djokovic is resigned to defeat and can only stand at the net and admire one of the greatest shots in world tennis.
4. It could be argued that Novak Djokovic brings out the best in Roger Federer. Federer is serving for the set in the U.S. Open semi final. Aggresive play by his Serbian opponent forces Federer to defend deep, resulting in an outrageuos lob from the back of the court.
5. Federer faces giant Ivo Karlovic. As the Swiss ace chases down a superb lob from the Croatian it seems inevitable the World number one will lose the point. But invariably Federer produces a piece of magic with his revered backhand.
MORE: The latest football news
MORE: The latest tennis news