- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
Katie Chapman to take break from international football
England midfielder steps down from international scene after struggling to "juggle family life and football"
England Women’s midfielder Katie Chapman has decided to take a break from international football and will miss this summer’s World Cup.
The 28-year-old informed the national side’s coach Hope Powell of her decision before the squad met up ahead of Saturday’s World Cup warm-up against the United States at Matchroom Stadium.
Chapman has earned 82 international caps and has scored eight goals, her most recent strike coming against Spain at The Den last April, the game’s only goal.
She was a key member of the England squad that featured in three consecutive major tournaments; the 2005 and 2009 Euros and the 2007 World Cup.
Chapman will continue to play for Arsenal during her international break.
Everton forward Natasha Dowie has replaced Chapman in the current squad.
Powell said: “With two young children and her commitments at Arsenal, Katie has understandably found it difficult to juggle her family life and her football.
“She has been a wonderful servant to England over the years. I have spoken with her and I fully respect her decision.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream
- Shaqiri plays down exit speculation
- Rodgers: Coutinho the brain of Liverpool side
- Pochettino: Lamela is unbelievable