- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Katie Chapman to take break from international football
England midfielder steps down from international scene after struggling to "juggle family life and football"
England Women’s midfielder Katie Chapman has decided to take a break from international football and will miss this summer’s World Cup.
The 28-year-old informed the national side’s coach Hope Powell of her decision before the squad met up ahead of Saturday’s World Cup warm-up against the United States at Matchroom Stadium.
Chapman has earned 82 international caps and has scored eight goals, her most recent strike coming against Spain at The Den last April, the game’s only goal.
She was a key member of the England squad that featured in three consecutive major tournaments; the 2005 and 2009 Euros and the 2007 World Cup.
Chapman will continue to play for Arsenal during her international break.
Everton forward Natasha Dowie has replaced Chapman in the current squad.
Powell said: “With two young children and her commitments at Arsenal, Katie has understandably found it difficult to juggle her family life and her football.
“She has been a wonderful servant to England over the years. I have spoken with her and I fully respect her decision.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck