- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Ronaldo: Fans boo me because ‘I’m good-looking, rich & great’
Cristiano Ronaldo says he doesn't have "any other explanation" after being jeered by Zagreb supporters
Cristiano Ronaldo has claimed he was whistled by Dinamo Zagreb supporters because he is “good-looking, rich and a great footballer” after Real Madrid sealed a 1-0 victory in Croatia on Wednesday.
The Portuguese forward was jeered by the home crowd throughout the Champions League clash as Madrid emerged victorious thanks to Angel Di Maria’s second-half strike. The 26-year-old also sustained an ankle injury which needed stitches after the game.
When asked about the reception he received in Croatia, Ronaldo said: “It’s surely because I’m good-looking, rich and a great footballer. They’re jealous of me. I don’t have any other explanation.”
Ronaldo also hit out at Norwegian referee Oddvar Moen for failing to protect him and after he sent off Marcelo for two bookable offences, the second for diving.
“He was an embarrassment,” Ronaldo said. “It’s sad because referees say they will protect the most skilful players, but while others can’t be touched, I am fouled all the time. I hope this referee never takes charge of another of our games because he is an embarrassment.”
Ronaldo has scored a staggering 91 goals in 94 games for Real Madrid since joining Los Blancos for a world record Â£80m fee from Manchester United in 2009.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers