- England v India: Player ratings as hosts win third Test
- England v India: Three talking points as hosts level series
- England v India: Talking points as Cook gets it right on day four
- England v India: ECB name unchanged side for 4th Test
- England v India: Three talking points as Jos Buttler impresses
- England wicketkeeper Jos Buttler inspired by Adam Gilchirst
Cook admits England in fight to avoid Pakistan series whitewash
England opener Alastair Cook says the tourists will need to show some "serious gets" to avoid series whitewash in Dubai
Alastair Cook admits England will have to dig deep if they are to prevent a 3-0 series whitewash by Pakistan after day two of the third and final Test in Dubai.
Pakistan ended the day on 222-2, a 180-run lead over Andrew Strauss’s tourists as Younus Khan (115 not out) shared an unbroken third-wicket stand of 194 with Azhar Ali (75 not out).
Strauss had earlier made 56 but England were soon bowled out for 141, with left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman notching up figures of 5-40.
“If we sit here when we turn up tomorrow and say ‘well, we’ve lost this game already’ then we might as well give Pakistan victory right now,” said Cook. “If we’re thinking that in our dressing room, we might as well just not bother turning up.
“It will take some serious guts to drag ourselves out of this. But there are some bloody good players in that dressing room, and I hope we can stand up.”
“We all know we’re a very long way behind in this game. “When we do get round to batting again – we’ve had our struggles on this tour – it’s going to take some serious character from the top six to turn it around.
“Anything is possible, but it’s going to take a lot of mental toughness to deliver it.
“I know we’ve got the players in there. But there’s only so many times you can keep saying that – we’re going to have to get out there and do it.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- England unchanged for Old Trafford
- England v India: Player ratings from 3rd Test
- Talking points as England level series
- Talking points as Cook gets it right on day four
- Talking points as Anderson stars on day three