- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal coy on Javier Hernandez future
David Beckham admits surprise at Fabio Capello’s resignation
Ex-captain David Beckham says he was "sad" and "surprised" to see Fabio Capello step down as England manager
David Beckham admits he was “surprised” and “sad” to learn that Fabio Capello had quit as England manager in the build-up to Euro 2012.
The Italian announced his decision to resign in the wake of the Football Association’s decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy earlier this month.
The FA now have four months to find a replacement for Capello before the start of the European championships in Poland and Ukraine.
“I was surprised because it’s the European championships coming up. After working with Fabio for quite a few years, it’s sad that he’s stepped down at a critical stage for England, but he’s done it for his own reasons,” said former England captain Beckham, who also worked under Capello at Real Madrid.
“He’s a manager that I respect a lot and a person that I respect a lot, and I would wish him all the best, but now as a nation we need to come together and concentrate on firstly getting a new manager and then going into these European championships.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Pochettino: Lamela is unbelievable
- Costa hails 'outstanding' Chelsea squad
- PHOTOS: Arsenal jet off to New York
- Rodgers updates fans on Borini future
- PHOTOS: Man Utd thrash LA Galaxy