- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
FA set to begin search for new England manager on Friday
The Football Association will draw up a shortlist of candidates for the vacant England manager's position later this week
The Football Association will begin its search for a new England manager on Friday following Fabio Capello’s shock resignation.
The FA have also confirmed that Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce will take temporary charge of England for the friendly against the Netherlands on 29 February.
FA chairman David Bernstein described Capello’s resignation as “regrettable” at a news conference at Wembley on Thursday following the Italian’s decision to step down after publicly voicing his disapproval at the decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy,
“Fabio has had a great record,” said Bernstein. “We had a very frank meeting with Fabio which was very civilised and at the end he decided he had to go.”
When quizzed about the search for a new boss, he added: “I’m not going to get into any discussion on any individuals. We will do this as quickly as we sensibly can. It will be interesting to see who comes to us and we’ll be putting together a shortlist.”
Meanwhile, Capello has issued a brief statement following his resignation. It read: “I would like to thank all players, staff and Football Association for the professionalism they have shown during my years as manager of the English National Team,” it read.
“A very special thanks to all the supporter: they’ve always supported the team and me in our job. I wish all of them every success in achieving all their sporting goals.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- I'll prove my worth at West Ham, vows Jenkinson
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings