- Man Utd transfers: ‘Marco Reus rejected Red Devils move’
- Transfer round-up: Di Maria to sign for Man Utd, Arsenal target Manolas
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Tottenham transfers: ‘Mateo Musacchio set to snub Spurs’
Mancini: Winning Europa League ‘important’ to Manchester City
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini says winning the Europa League would mark an "important moment" for Eastlands club
Roberto Mancini insists Manchester City are desperate to seal Europa League glory this season.
Premier League leaders City host Porto in the return leg of their last-32 tie on Wednesday night after securing a dramatic 2-1 win over the Portuguese champions at the Estadio Dragao last week.
Mancini’s men were dumped out of Europe’s second tier competition at the last-16 stage by Dynamo Kiev last season – and the Italian manager is keen to guide his side to the title this time around after being parachuted down into the tournament following their third-place finish in Champions League Group A.
“I was very pleased with the win in Porto and think we played really well in both halves, particularly in the second half when we defended well and created a lot of chances,” Mancini told a news conference on Tuesday.
“Every game is dangerous for different reasons, but it is better start with a 2-1 lead, but I think it’s important to think that it is 0-0 start.”
“For us, every game is serious and we want to win every match,” he said. “If we win the Europa League it would be an important moment for the club – I don’t think it will be easy but we will try.
“We will play our normal game on Wednesday but it is vital every player works hard for the team and if we are to have players like Nasri, Silva, Agüero or Balotelli in our starting line-up, every player has to work hard and defend when they need to or else we can’t play with so many attacking players.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool suffer Bakkali setback
- VIDEO: Van Persie takes ice bucket challenge
- Robson: Man Utd don't need an overhaul
- Song takes ice bucket challenge, nominates Podolski
- Bilic: Besitkas out to spoil Arsenal plans