- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
- ‘Rene Meulensteen return would be great news for Man Utd’
‘Ambitious’ Arsenal will spend cash wisely, insists Arsène Wenger
Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger says he plans to spend the club's money in an "intelligent and wise way" this summer
Arsène Wenger insists he will spend Arsenal’s money in an “intelligent way” in the transfer market this summer.
Speaking at his weekly news briefing, the Arsenal boss was responding to criticism from former Arsenal defender Sol Campbell, who claimed the Londoners need to “push the boat out” to bring in new players.
“What has not changed at all is our policy that we will be as ambitious as ever and spend the money we have available, if possible in an intelligent and wise way,” Wenger said.
“We have always spent money because we are ambitious for top-class players and if you look at the history of our last 15 years, we have always had top-class players. Sol Campbell is one of them.”
Wenger is convinced that his Arsenal side can mount a credible title challenge next season after falling short in the league and Champions League this term.
“There are two basic trophies for me that are the sign of the quality of a team; they are the Premier League and the Champions League,” he added.
“The Champions League is prestigious and it is half league and half cup. That means that at the end, the teams who wins must show real quality.
“All the rest, they are trophies of course and they are important, but they do not really reflect the deep quality of a team. The championship does, and we want to win it.
“Our ambition is intact, to win the championship. It depends on how we finish the season to decide how much we need to buy to have a chance to win the championship next season.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Fletcher: Man Utd must believe in Van Gaal
- Drogba: Costa a 'special' Chelsea player
- Ramsey: Arsenal must be more clinical
- Redknapp: It was good Balotelli didn't score
- Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Gerrard