- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Euro 2012: Arsenal’s Wojciech Szczesny ready for his big moment
Wojciech Szczesny believes Euro 2012 will provide a major challenge for both him and Poland as a nation
Wojciech Szczesny has described his excitement ahead of his first international tournament – but admits Euro 2012 represents a big challenge for both the Arsenal goalkeeper and Poland ahead of their opener against Greece on Friday.
The 22-year-old moved ahead of Arsenal team-mate Lukasz Fabiański in the pecking order at both club and national team level after he established himself as the Gunners’ undisputed first-choice last season.
And Szczesny admits a home tournament is of huge significance for Poland.
“It means a lot. We have never hosted a big event like this,” he told Arsenal’s website. “The biggest pressure is on the team to perform well, but for the whole country it is a good test.
“Can we manage it, can we have a good tournament and organise it well? It is a difficult task, but I will just focus on doing my job as well as I can and hopefully we can get the results that the fans want.
“I am very excited, not only because it is my first international tournament, but because it is in my country. We play the opening game [against Greece] five minutes away from my place so a lot of my friends will be there. It will be a big moment for me.”
Poland kick-off their campaign against Greece in Group A, and followed by ties against the Czech Republic and Russia.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck