- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
Euro 2012: Joey Barton questions Jordan Henderson England call-up
Joey Barton criticises England's Euro 2012 selection and claims he would "walk" into the squad on ability - but not on behaviour
Joey Barton has questioned Jordan Henderson’s inclusion in England’s Euro 2012 squad – and claims he would “walk” into the side on ability.
Six Liverpool players now form the core of the Three Lions squad, with defender Martin Kelly drafted in to replace Gary Cahill, and Barton believes players should be picked on form.
“On ability I walk in the squad, on behaviour I don’t,” Barton wrote on Twitter. “If Henderson got in, any Englishman not currently in the squad has to feel aggrieved. Yes, I wish I was there but I’m not.
“Everyones thinking it [but] I’ll say it. Liverpool have [had an] horrific season and have six players in our Euro squad. What chance do we have? Pick on form.
“How [Grant] Holt, [Micah] Richards, [Michael] Carrick, [Rio] Ferdinand, [Leon] Osman, [Daniel] Sturridge etc never got involved is a travesty. I really hope England do well and win it, I really do. All am saying is a don’t think we will and it p***es me off.
“If everyone stays fit, we’ve got a decent 11 once [Wayne] Rooney’s back. If any of the key players get a knock, we are done for. Three games in eight/nine days takes its toll on the body.
“If a few are carrying injuries from a long domestic season, it will show. Not being pessimistic just a realist. I am over qualified to pass judgement on this. Not only have a played in the Premier League for 10 years but I’ve played with and against most of them.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck