- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Euro 2012: Man City’s Lescott ‘gutted’ to see Cahill ruled out
Joleon Lescott admits he is "gutted" for Gary Cahill after the defender was ruled out of Euro 2012 with a double jaw fracture
Joleon Lescott admits he is “gutted” for Gary Cahill after the Chelsea centre-half was ruled out of Euro 2012 with a double jaw fracture.
Cahill suffered the injury after colliding heavily with Joe Hart following a challenge from Belgium’s Dries Mertens during England’s 1-0 friendly victory at Wembley on Saturday.
The Chelsea centre-half is the latest name added to a growing injury list in the build-up to the tournament in Poland and Ukraine, with goalkeeper John Ruddy and midfielders Gareth Barry and Frank Lampard already ruled out after being included in Roy Hodgson’s original 23-man squad.
Lescott wrote on Twitter: “Gutted to hear Gaz [Cahill] is ruled out. The challenge that caused it was more reckless and dangerous than most two-footed tackles so why only yellow?”
PSV Eindhoven winger Mertens has since apologised for the push that forced Cahill into Hart at Wembley. He said: “Absolutely, I feel for him.
“If that was me in his place, getting injured like that a week before the Euros, I’d feel so bad. I’d feel terrible. I’m sorry he’s not able to go.”
Liverpool defender Martin Kelly, who has just one England cap, has been drafted in as Cahill’s replacement as Hodgson controversially chose not to call on the more experienced Rio Ferdinand.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Redknapp: Falcao will fire Man Utd into top four
- Smith: Welbeck only wanted Arsenal move
- PHOTO: Wilshere and Hart all smiles
- Madrid already missing Alonso & Di Maria
- Mertesacker: Arsenal's Chambers has everything