Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba won’t be joining Barcelona
Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is still set to join Shanghai Shenhua despite rumours linking him to Barcelona
Didier Drogba’s representatives have dismissed reports linking the striker with a move to Barcelona.
The 34-year-old agreed to join Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua last week, with the Chelsea legend set to link up with his former Blues team-mate Nicolas Anelka in the Far East.
But reports emerged on Monday suggesting Drogba was ready to backtrack on his deal with Shenhua and instead move to La Liga outfit Barcelona.
However, Drogba’s representatives insist the former Chelsea star will honour his agreement and move to China.
“Drogba to Barça story complete nonsense. As we told you he joins Shanghai in July,” the Sports PR Company tweeted.
Drogba decided to call time on his Stamford Bridge career after scoring 157 goals in 341 appearances since moving to Chelsea from Marseille in 2004.
The Ivory Coast striker, who scored the winning penalty in the Blues’ Champions League final victory over Bayern Munich, won three Premier League titles and four FA Cup crowns in an eight-year spell at the club.
“I am looking forward to a new challenge, to experiencing a new culture, and excited about the new developments in the Chinese Super League,” said Drogba last week.
“When Chelsea went to China last year, we had a great time and I met some amazing fans. I hope to help promote Chinese football around the world and further improve the links between China and Africa.”
Like The Sport Review on Facebook: