- I wouldn’t sign Liverpool target Mario Balotelli for free, says ex-Man Utd star
- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Photos: Özil and Mertesacker train as Arsenal gear up for Everton
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Liverpool transfers: Mario Balotelli a bargain at £16m, says Harry Redknapp
Thierry Henry: Arsenal need a player like Jack Wilshere around
Thierry Henry believes Arsène Wenger needs midfielder Jack Wilshere back in first-team contention at The Emirates
Thierry Henry believes Arsène Wenger needs Jack Wilshere back in the Arsenal first-team this season.
The 20-year-old England international missed the entire 2011-12 campaign after suffering an ankle injury in a pre-season game against Henry’s New York Red Bulls last summer and then requiring minor knee surgery in May.
Wenger revealed on Monday that the Gunners hope to have Wilshere back available for selection in October, and Arsenal legend Henry admits the midfielder has been missed at The Emirates.
“You want Jack Wilshere around,” Henry told Sky Sports News. “He reminds me of when I first arrived when the old guard was there.
“He’s an Arsenal fan in the first place and you need this type of player around in the dressing room.
“It’s not only that he’s an Arsenal fan, and not only an Englishman, but he’s a good player, it’s as simple as that.
“What a shame that he stopped a bit because he was on his way. I just wish him all the best that he can come back quick and wear the shirt he loves so much.”
Henry also agreed with Wenger’s remarks that the return of Abou Diaby and Wilshere will be the equivalent of making two new summer signings.
“I saw what the boss said the other day and I will say what he said – hopefully they will sign this year Wilshere and Diaby,” he added.
“I thought it was a clever thing for him to say as usual. You need those guys around. Mikel Arteta did extremely well, but you need those guys also in the squad.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Persie set to return for Man Utd
- Back Arsenal, Chelsea & Spurs to win at 10/1!
- Rodgers: Markovic & Moreno available for Man City trip
- Van Gaal: Now I'm the devil of Manchester
- Giles: I wouldn't sign Balotelli for free