- Video: Game of Thrones star gives team talk in Rugby World Cup ad
- Aviva Premiership: Northampton Saints kick off the new season
- Guinness Pro12: Munster sign Argentine hooker Eusebio Guiñazú
- Jason Robinson backs Sam Burgess to jump from League to Union
- WRU and Welsh regions sign new £60m rugby agreement
- Aviva Premiership: Yarde will light up Twickenham, says Turner-Hall
England boss Stuart Lancaster: You’ve got a year to impress me
England coach Stuart Lancaster gives his troops 12 months to impress before setting a World Cup deadline on new faces
It’s still three years away but England coach Stuart Lancaster has given his troops 12 months to impress before setting a World Cup deadline on new faces.
Lancaster, who led England to second place in the RBS 6 Nations earlier this year, wants at least two seasons to nurture his squad before leading them on home soil in 2015.
And after experimenting on the fruitless tour of South Africa – a 2-0 series defeat – Lancaster insists the clock is ticking for his stars to impress.
“We have a World Cup in England in three years’ time and we’re expected, and should be expected, to do very well in it,” he said.
“We’ve one year left to get things up to speed. That will be the end of the development stage and the start of our countdown to the World Cup. I’d like two years of a settled team.”
One player who Lancaster will be keeping a close eye on is Danny Cipriani, now at Sale Sharks, and he will be hoping the 24-year-old can recapture his form.
He added: “We need players with stardust. We need players who can turn a game, and win it, with one flash of world-class star quality.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Munster sign Argentine hooker Eusebio Guiñazú
- VIDEO: Games of Thrones star delivers rugby team talk
- Glasgow name strong squad for London Scottish clash
- WRU & Welsh regions agree £60m deal
- Scott hopes Edinburgh can find perfect blend