- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Ronald Koeman tweets picture of empty Southampton training ground
Cesc Fàbregas backing Arsenal to challenge for trophies this season
Cesc Fàbregas is convinced his former club Arsenal will challenge for trophies this season under the "amazing" Arsène Wenger
Cesc Fàbregas has backed Arsenal to mount a serious title challenge this season under the “amazing” Arsène Wenger.
The former Gunners captain sealed a move back to his boyhood club Barcelona last summer after spending eight years in north London but only picking up an FA Cup winners’ medal during that time.
Arsenal are yet to win a trophy since their 2005 FA Cup final success over Manchester United – but the 25-year-old Spaniard is convinced Wenger’s men will challenge for honours this season.
“Arsène Wenger is amazing and I’m sure he will prove it again this season,” Fàbregas told the Sun.
“He always finds the best young talent in Europe and has the courage to bring them in and give them their chance. That is his special talent, the way he works with a player to build their confidence and encourage them to play, to perform at their best.
“That’s why I’m confident that Arsenal will again be up there challenging. I hope so. I watch them every weekend because Arsenal still mean so much to me.
“It was a privilege for me to spend eight years at such a magnificent club.”
Fàbregas has recently voiced his frustration and being substituted for Barcelona this season – but the Spaniard insists he always knew he was in for a fight to hold down a regular spot at Camp Nou.
“I knew I was coming to compete for a place against the best players in the world. But I like big challenges,” he continued.
“If I didn’t I would have stayed at Arsenal where I was the captain, where I played every game and where I was treated so well.
“I have a big heart, a strong character and I have the courage to carry on competing for my place.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers