- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- Barkley, Neville & more: Twitter reacts as Chelsea man nears Everton move
- Liverpool transfers: Rodgers rejects Tottenham comparisons
- Paul Scholes: Jack Wilshere can come of age at Arsenal this season
Chelsea defender Gary Cahill: I’m back to square one with England
Chelsea's Gary Cahill feels like he is "back to square one" after being left out of England's line-up for the 1-1 draw with Ukraine
Gary Cahill admits it feels like he is “back to square one” after the Chelsea defender was omitted from England’s starting line-up for the World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine.
The 26-year-old was forced to miss England’s Euro 2012 campaign after the centre-half broke his jaw in the final warm-up game against Belgium.
Cahill had established himself as a first-team regular alongside Chelsea team-mate John Terry in the absence of Three Lions veteran Rio Ferdinand under former England boss Fabio Capello.
However, he acknowledged that his injury earlier this summer has hampered his international career, with Joleon Lescott and Phil Jagielka starting the Ukraine tie.
“Before these last two England games [against Ukraine and Moldova], I probably didn’t realise just how much damage that injury did to my chances,” he told the Sun.
“Towards the back end of last season, I’d forced my way into the team and was starting most matches.
“In the weeks before the Euros, I felt as though I could be a big part of that competition. But to have that unfortunate injury has clearly set me back in the pecking order.
“I wouldn’t say I was surprised when I didn’t play against Ukraine. I was more disappointed and frustrated. It feels like things are out of my hands again.
“You think you’re progressing, then all of a sudden you’re back to square one. That’s the way I feel at the minute.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photos: Costa & Fabregas impress v Vitesse
- Video: Fàbregas scores first Chelsea goal
- Twitter reacts as Lukaku completes Everton move
- Martinez hails historic Lukaku signing
- Lukaku hopes to progress at Chelsea