- Photo: Mesut Özil thanks Arsenal fans for their support
- Photo: Arsenal legend Robert Pires enjoys dinner with Olivier Giroud
- Ian Wright: Arsenal’s point at Leicester doesn’t look bad now!
- Neville, Robson & more: Twitter reacts as Leicester stun Man Utd
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fàbregas lifts lid on his relationship with Arsène Wenger
- Sturridge & more: Twitter reacts as Lampard scores AGAINST Chelsea
Chelsea v Juventus: John Obi Mikel looking to learn from Andrea Pirlo
Chelsea v Juventus: John Obi Mikel reveals he is hoping to learn from Italy legend Andrea Pirlo at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday
John Obi Mikel says he wants to “learn” from Italy legend Andrea Pirlo when Chelsea face Juventus in their Champions League opener.
The Juventus veteran has enjoyed a return to form since moving to the Old Lady in 2011, while sparkling at the European championship as Italy lost to Spain in the final.
Mikel made nine appearances in Chelsea’s title-winning Champions League campaign, but the 25-year-old is still looking to improve as a player and he is relishing the chance to test himself against Pirlo.
“Pirlo is a great player,” said Mikel. “Everyone saw what he did in the Euros. He’s been in the game for a long time and he’s a legend in the game.
“For me, every day I come into training, I like learning, even from the younger players,
“Playing against a legend like Pirlo is going to be great.
“But I will be going into the game looking to win, so whatever happens, it’s going to be a battle between both players.
“He’s a great player and I respect him, but once we step onto the pitch we will both want to win.
“Hopefully I can learn something from him on Wednesday.”
Meanwhile, Mikel was pleased Chelsea’s long-term servants such as Didier Drogba got to experience the perfect send off by beating Bayern Munich in the Champions League final in May.
But the Nigeria international has urged the current Blues squad to build on last season’s success and win further silverware under Roberto Di Matteo.
“Last season, everyone knew how important it was for us as players and as a club as well,” added Mikel.
“We had older players who were going to leave at the end of the season and it was going to be their last Champions League campaign with the club.
“So it was really good to win the trophy and we want to build on that. We don’t want to stop.”
Chelsea v Juventus: Pre-match facts
• The teams met in the 2008-09 round of 16 when a 12th-minute Didier Drogba goal gave Chelsea a 1-0 first-leg victory in London before a 2-2 draw in Turin.
• Juventus have not won on their last 11 competitive outings in England, losing eight and drawing three, including their 2003 Champions League final penalty shoot-out defeat by AC Milan.
• Chelsea have finished as group winners in seven of their last nine campaigns, qualifying for the knockout rounds as runners-up in the other two years.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
Read more on...
Wenger gives latest Arsenal injury update ahead of Southampton clash43 mins ago Football
Three reasons why Chelsea would struggle without Diego Costa47 mins ago Football
‘Man Utd’s Louis van Gaal doesn’t rate Luke Shaw’2 hours ago Football
Premier League winners and losers: Man Utd, Mesut Özil & more2 hours ago Football
Tottenham not good enough, admits Younes Kaboul4 hours ago Football
SPFL Wrap: Major results in Scotland on and off the pitch4 hours ago Football
Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers explains decision to haul off Javier Manquillo5 hours ago Football
Rodgers delivers latest Liverpool injury update ahead of Boro clash5 hours ago Football
Photo: Ander Herrera issues Man Utd rallying cry5 hours ago Football
Photo: Jack Wilshere targets Arsenal League Cup success5 hours ago Football
Photos: Joel Campbell & Jack Wilshere help Arsenal gear up for Saints8 hours ago Football
Daniel Agger: I didn’t feel valued by Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool8 hours ago Football
La Liga wrap: Man Utd’s Javier Hernandez opens Real Madrid account8 hours ago Football
Arsenal boss Wenger delivers latest Debuchy injury update8 hours ago Football
Arsenal youngster Calum Chambers lifts lid on Per Mertesacker help8 hours ago Football
Van Gaal gives latest Man Utd injury update after Leicester loss8 hours ago Football
Mesut Özil: Danny Welbeck makes the game simpler for Arsenal8 hours ago Football
Man Utd transfers: Red Devils warned over Kevin Strootman pursuit9 hours ago Football
Photo: Lukas Podolski and Alexis Sánchez all smiles in training10 hours ago Football
Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund & Leverkusen suffer worrying defeats10 hours ago Football