- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
- ‘Rene Meulensteen return would be great news for Man Utd’
Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey hopes to start against Man Utd
Liverpool's Jonjo Shelvey is hoping to start against Manchester United after his match-winning brace against Young Boys
Jonjo Shelvey has targeted a place in Brendan Rodgers’ first-team for Sunday’s clash with Manchester United after the youngster scored twice in an impressive 20-minute cameo in a 5-3 win at Young Boys.
Shelvey started Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Sunderland last weekend, and the Charlton Athletic youth graduate is hoping to experience his first north west derby.
“I hope I’ve played my way into the side for Sunday,” Shelvey told Liverpool’s website.
“I don’t know what the manager is thinking regarding that game but since he came in the manager has been first class with me.
“He has given me opportunities and hopefully by coming off the bench and scoring two goals tonight I repaid him.
“Games don’t get any bigger than playing for Liverpool against Man United. It’s what dreams are made of.
“The atmosphere at Anfield will be electric and I want to be a part of that.”
He added: “I was disappointed to start on the bench so when I came on I wanted to make an impact. It was great to get two goals and help the team get the win we wanted to get us off to a good start in this group.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Fletcher: Man Utd must believe in Van Gaal
- Drogba: Costa a 'special' Chelsea player
- Ramsey: Arsenal must be more clinical
- Redknapp: It was good Balotelli didn't score
- Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Gerrard