- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Photos: Arsenal jet off to USA for New York Red Bulls clash
Video: Man Utd’s Michael Carrick sings Robin van Persie’s praises
Michael Carrick heaps praise on Manchester United new-boy Robin van Persie after striker's impressive start to the season
Michael Carrick has heaped praise on Robin van Persie after the striker got Manchester United out of trouble at Southampton last weekend.
The Dutchman, who joined the Red Devils from Arsenal in a £24m deal last month, struck a superb hat-trick and even had the luxury of missing a penalty as Sir Alex Ferguson’s men triumphed 3-2 at St Mary’s on Sunday.
Carrick has been thoroughly impressed by the striker’s instant impact at Old Trafford after netting four goals in his first three league games and admits his start to life in Manchester probably exceeded his expectations.
“To get off the mark like he did at home with his first touch of the ball was pretty special,” said Carrick. “And obviously his hat-trick was much needed because we were in a tough position.
“I’m sure it’s a better start than he could have hoped for and he’ll be looking got carry it on.
“Whoever the manager calls upon, we can look dangerous. Robin’s had a great start and hopefully he’s got a few more of those hat-tricks and goals in him this season.
“World-class players, they’ve got that presence. For instance, when the ball came to him for his first goal, you’re so confident it’s going to be a goal.
“To have someone like that in your team is satisfying because you know if you can supply him with the right ammunition then more often than not he’ll put it away.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Arsenal trio set to miss league opener
- Wenger: I couldn't play Ramsey at The Emirates
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream