- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
Goals will come for Olivier Giroud, insists Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen
Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen is convinced it is only a matter of time until Olivier Giroud begins finding the net regularly
Thomas Vermaelen is convinced it will not be long before Arsenal new-boy Olivier Giroud begins finding the net on a regular basis for the Gunners.
But Gunners captain Vermaelen has no doubt that the forward, who moved to the Emirates from Montpellier this summer, will open his account imminently after a tough introduction to English football.
“I’m convinced Olivier will be off the mark soon,” Vermaelen wrote in Arsenal’s official matchday programme notes ahead of Saturday’s clash with Southampton.
“It’s not as if he has had an easy start – he didn’t get much time against Sunderland, and then played in two tough away games.
“He won a lot of duels in those matches, and it’s a vital quality when you’re away from home – if we don’t see a solution, we can sometimes play a longer ball to him in the knowledge that he works hard and is strong in the air.
“He’s made some good runs and has been a bit unfortunate not to score so far, but he’s got into the positions so I’m not worried about him at all. The goals will come.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Owen: Rodgers will control Balotelli
- Cazorla's 'morale high' after Arsenal successes
- PHOTOS: Rooney & RVP star in Man Utd training
- VIDEO: Gibbs & Ox nominate Marriner for Ice Bucket Challenge
- Seven players who could rescue Man Utd