- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Oscar can sparkle in Premier League, says Chelsea boss Di Matteo
Roberto Di Matteo is backing Chelsea new-boy Oscar to carry his impressive midweek form into the Premier League
Roberto Di Matteo is backing Oscar to build on his stunning Champions League debut and carry his sparkling form into the Premier League.
The 21-year-old Brazilian starlet announced himself to the Stamford Bridge faithful with a brilliant quick-fire brace against Juventus on Wednesday on his first start for the Blues, before Di Matteo’s men were pegged back and held to a 2-2 draw.
Next up for Chelsea is a visit from Stoke City on Saturday afternoon and Di Matteo, who revealed Oscar has recovered from the injury that forced him off in midweek and should be fit to face the Potters, is now backing the midfielder to adapt his game to deal with the rigours of the English top flight.
“It was certainly a spectacular full debut for him and we hope to see it more often,” Di Matteo told a news conference on Friday.
“We saw a little bit of that in training but obviously it was great to see that kind of quality in a big game like that and we’re very pleased that we have him.
“It’s going to be a different kind of challenge for him [to produce that kind of performance in the Premier League], certainly it will be a more physical game [against Stoke].
“But I’m pretty sure he’s ready for that. He’s an intelligent man and player and will find a way to get around it.”
Di Matteo added: “We don’t want to put pressure on just one player. We need to spread the goals around the team.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers