- Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’
- Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,000
- Why Lewis Hamilton is likely to regret his move to Mercedes
- Bahrain Grand Prix 2013: Delighted Nico Rosberg predicts tough test
- Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories
- Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost
Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Red Bull’s Vettel fastest in final practice
Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Sebastian Vettel cements an impressive weekend by finishing the fastest in the final practice
Sebastian Vettel made it a hat-trick of practices as he topped the timesheets to finish fastest in the final session, beating McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton by three tenths of a second at the Marina Bay Street Circuit .
Taking a clean sweep of practice sessions, the German was looking dominant as he set two fastest lap times and will be confident heading into qualifying.
British driver Hamilton was also looking quick and he is expected to have more pace to bring in qualifying.
Despite Ferrari engineers working on current Driver’s Championship leader Fernando Alonso’s car in the first part of practice, the Spaniard was looking sharp on the circuit, finishing three tenths behind McLaren in third position.
It looks as though it will be a fierce battle between these three drivers for pole position, especially as they are the only men to win this night Grand Prix.
During the first half of the hour long session, McLaren team-mates Jenson Button and Hamilton seemed to be enjoying competing against each other as they traded fastest times.
Sergio Pérez had a tense moment in the early stages when carrying too much speed into the corner, he hit the Armco barrier as he passed under the grandstand – the Mexican was forced back to the garage where engineers raced against the clock to fix the car.
Red Bull’s Mark Webber later became a victim on the same corner, hitting the barrier harder than the Sauber driver and giving him a rear puncture.
HRT’s Pedro de la Rosa will face a five place grid drop as the team were forced to change his gearbox for Sunday’s race, but it is unlikely to affect him too much as the Spaniard has started from the back row for most of the season. He also finished third practice having clocked the slowest time.
With two minutes and 20 seconds to go, the session was red flagged as Caterham’s Vitaly Petrov clouted the wall on turn 21, losing control and spinning across the track – he coasted to a stop in the entrance of the pit lane, meaning the session had to be halted.
Despite this being a night race, third practice was largely conducted in the Singapore sunshine, meaning the teams will have struggled to gain a true reflection of what conditions will be like for Sunday’s Grand Prix.
With the race result likely to rest on tyre strategy, with a 1.5 second gap between the soft and super-soft tyres, a good qualifying result will be crucial for the teams.
Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Third Practice Times
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1:47.947
2. Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren +0.325
3. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari +0.676
4. Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Force India +0.912
5. Kimi Räikkönen (Fin) Lotus +0.918
6. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari +1.511
7. Paul di Resta (Gbr) Force India +1.737
8. Nico Rosberg (Gbr) Mercedes +1.752
9. Bruno Senna (Bra) Williams +1.768
10. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes +2.034
11. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull +2.163
12. Jenson Button (Gbr) McLaren +2.557
13. Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Scuderia Toro Rosso +2.717
14. Kamui Kobayashi (Jpn) Sauber +2.830
15. Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus +2.893
16. Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams +3.065
17. Jean-Eric Vergne (Fra) Scuderia Toro-Rosso +3.112
18. Sergio Pérez (Mex) Sauber +3.325
19. Charles Pic (Fra) Marussia +4.343
20. Vitaly Petrov (Rus) Caterham +5.834
21. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) Caterham +6.379
22. Narain Karthikeyan (Ind) HRT +6.474
23. Timo Glock (Ger) Marussia +6.683
24. Pedro de la Rosa (Spa) HRT +6.928
Read more on...
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories2 weeks ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’2 weeks ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award3 weeks ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium3 weeks ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0003 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg4 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole4 weeks ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton4 weeks ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost1 month ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles1 month ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish2 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole2 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton vows to race through pain after German Grand Prix crash2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: No mind games with Nico Rosberg in F1 title race2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg signs new ‘multi-year’ Mercedes deal2 months ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel: Red Bull must close the gap to Mercedes2 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg tells Lewis Hamilton: I’m 100% German2 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton entering ‘attack mode’ in Formula 1 title race2 months ago Formula 1