Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Sebastian Vettel tops first practice
Singapore Grand Prix 2012: Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel is quickest in first session ahead Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button
Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel was fastest in first practice under the setting sun at a damp Marina Bay Street Circuit in Singapore.
Lewis Hamilton, who won the Italian Grand Prix two weeks ago, was second for Mclaren – half a tenth behind – with team-mate Jenson Button a further eight tenths back, while Championship leader Fernando Alonso finished in fourth.
In the opening 30 minutes, spectators watched as drivers battled around the damp circuit, with most drivers opting for the intermediate tyres.
As most teams elected to only complete an installation lap, the most notable moment early in the session came when Michael Schumacher misjudged a braking zone and almost clattered into the back of his Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg.
Halfway through the session as night fell over the spectacular backdrop of the skyscrapers of Singapore, Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi signalled the start of competitive lap times, setting the quickest time on dry tyres.
As lap times were traded throughout the remainder of the session, it was Red Bull’s Vettel and Mclaren’s Hamilton who set the pace with a large distance between them and the rest of the field.
Singapore Grand Prix 2012: First practice times
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 1:50.566
2. Lewis Hamilton (Gbr) McLaren (+0.049)
3. Jenson Button (Gbr) McLaren (+0.893)
4. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari (+0.959)
5. Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams (+1.010)
6. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull (+1.089)
7. Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Force India (+1.092)
8. Paul di Resta (Gbr) Force India (+1.377)
9. Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Scuderia Toro Rosso (+1.709)
10. Sergio Perez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari (+1.730)
11. Bruno Senna (Bra) Williams (+2.063)
12. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Lotus F1 Team (+2.150)
13. Kamui Kobayashi (Jpn) Sauber-Ferrari (+2.273)
14. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes GP (+2.420)
15. Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus F1 Team (+2.462)
16. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari (+2.514)
17. Jean-Eric Vergne (Fra) Scuderia Toro Rosso (+2.623)
18. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP (+2.661)
19. Timo Glock (Ger) Marussia (+4.342)
20. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) Caterham (+4.525)
21. Charles Pic (Fra) Marussia (+4.769)
22. Vitaly Petrov (Rus) Caterham (+5.194)
23. Pedro de la Rosa (Spa) HRT-F1 (+6.090)
24. Ma Qing Hua (Chi) HRT-F1 (+7.487)◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Read more on...
Lewis Hamilton storms past rivals to win BBC Sports Personality of the Year4 days ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel: I’m not running away from Red Bull3 months ago Formula 1
Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso: I have power over my F1 future3 months ago Formula 1
Brundle, Glock and more: Twitter reacts to Vettel’s Red Bull departure3 months ago Formula 1
Sebastian Vettel set to swap Red Bull for Ferrari3 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen: I drove ‘within limits’ on my Formula 1 debut3 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg dismisses Italian Grand Prix conspiracy theories3 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: Seeing Nico Rosberg booed in Monza ‘awkward’3 months ago Formula 1
Photos: Lewis Hamilton steps out with Nicole Scherzinger to collect GQ award4 months ago Formula 1
Nico Rosberg ‘takes responsibility’ for crash with Lewis Hamilton in Belgium4 months ago Formula 1
Ayrton Senna’s front wing end plates sold for £18,0004 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton ‘very upset’ after crash with Rosberg4 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg delighted with ‘awesome’ pole4 months ago Formula 1
Belgian Grand Prix 2014: It’s great to be back, says Lewis Hamilton4 months ago Formula 1
Max Verstappen will cope in F1, says Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost4 months ago Formula 1
Red Bull chief attempts to explain Sebastian Vettel’s struggles4 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish5 months ago Formula 1
Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Hamilton suffers blow as Rosberg takes pole5 months ago Formula 1
Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe5 months ago Formula 1
Lewis Hamilton: I did as well as I could at the German Grand Prix5 months ago Formula 1