Man City transfers: Eriksen took ‘10 seconds’ to turn down Citizens
Man City transfers: Christian Eriksen took "10 seconds" to turn down a move to the Eastlands outfit this summer, claims agent
Christian Eriksen took “10 seconds” to turn down a move to Manchester City this summer, according to the Ajax midfielder’s agent.
The 20-year-old is expected to feature in Ajax’s Champions League clash against City on Wednesday, with both sides looking to register their first victory of the group stage at the Amsterdam Arena.
City boss Roberto Mancini attempted to bring Eriksen to the Premier League champions over the summer but the playmaker’s agent Martin Schoot revealed his client rejected a switch to England.
“He’s not interested in money,” Schoot told De Telegraff. “He chose [to stay] for his development and because of that he’s at Ajax.
“He’s got a excellent relationship with Frank de Boer and he’s enjoying himself in Amsterdam. Christian didn’t think about [the offer from Man City] for longer then 10 seconds.”
The Denmark international has scored 20 goals in 121 appearances for the Eredivisie champions since making his first-team debut in January 2010.
Ajax v Manchester City: Pre-match facts
• Already beaten by Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid, bottom-placed Ajax are seeking a first home victory over English opposition since 1980, when they beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 in the second leg of the 1979-80 European Champion Clubs’ Cup semi-finals.
• City’s only previous trip to the Netherlands yielded a 1-1 draw at Twente in the 1978-79 Uefa Cup first round. They beat Twente 3-2 in the ensuing home leg and won by the same score when the clubs met again in the 2008-09 Uefa Cup group stage.
• City failed to reach the knockout stages last season despite collecting ten points in the group stage, matching the record for the highest points haul without advancing.
• Ajax coach Frank de Boer made his international debut in September 1990 in the Netherlands’ 1-0 defeat in Palermo against an Italy side for whom Roberto Mancini, his City counterpart, appeared as a 55th-minute substitute.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wenger: Robben is a good diver
- Podolski: First half was not good enough
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal lose to Bayern
- Özil suffers 'quite serious' hamstring injury
- Bayern Munich 1 Arsenal 1: Talking points