- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
Joe Hart: Man City’s poor Euro performances are a surprise
Goalkeeper Joe Hart admits his surprise at Manchester City's failure to perform in the Champions League this season
Joe Hart admitted Manchester City have “surprised themselves” with their poor Champions League performances after a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid ended the Citzens’ hopes of reaching the knockout stage.
France international Karim Benzema put the visitors ahead inside six minutes, before City striker Sergio Agüero levelled from the penalty spot in the 72nd minute.
Yaya Touré and Carlos Tevez came close to scoring a late winner, but Hart conceded the Premier League champions had endured a terrible campaign, with Roberto Mancini’s men without a win in Europe.
“I’m very disappointed. We had a few opportunities in this group where we could have done a lot better,” Hart told Sky Sports.
“We’re out of the competition but we’ve got a big game on Sunday [against Chelsea].”
He added: “All games have cost us [this season]. We’ve lost our two away games and not won at home.
“We’ll look at both opportunities were we lost in Amsterdam and Madrid.
“It’s been a bad campaign for us. It’s been very frustrating because we’re a very good team.
“But we’ve surprised ourselves in a very bad way in this campaign and unfortunately we weren’t able to do this business when it mattered.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: What Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Man Utd unveil £14m signing Blind
- Blind great addition, says Van Gaal
- Blind revels in dream move to Man Utd
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck