- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Juventus 3 Chelsea 0: Petr Cech takes positives from defeat
Juventus 3 Chelsea 0: Petr Cech insists he was pleased with the Blues' improved spirit despite comprehensive defeat in Turin
Petr Cech insisted he was heartened by Chelsea’s “improved spirit” despite Juventus taking matters into their own hands in the Champions League with a comprehensive victory in Turin.
The hosts took the lead in the 38th minute when Fabio Quagliarella deflected Andrea Pirlo’s shot beyond Petr Cech and Arturo Vidal doubled their advantage after the break.
Substitute Sebastian Giovinco then made the points secure when he slotted his shot under Cech as the goalkeeper rushed out of his area in stoppage time.
The defeat means Chelsea can win their final home game against Nordsjaelland and still become the first holders of the competition to fail to navigate their way out of the group stage.
“I think we showed much better spirit than in the last games,” Cech told ITV1. “In the first half it was very difficult but I think we did really well.
“We created some chances but in such an important game if you create a chance you have to take it. That was the difference. They put on a very good performance and they did really well.
“We said before the game that we have our destiny in our own hands – not any more. We need to do our bit and win our last home game and hope that destiny will be kind to us.
“It’s a very sad moment. Last season, the end of the Champions League was like a dream…I wouldn’t say [now] it’s a nightmare but it’s a huge disappointment.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck