- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
Lucas return will be ‘great boost’ for Liverpool, says assistant coach
Liverpool assistant manager Colin Pascoe says Lucas Leiva could play for the reserves this Friday as he returns from injury
Colin Pascoe believes Lucas Leiva’s return from a thigh injury will be “a great boost”, with the Liverpool midfielder weeks away from a comeback.
The 25-year-old suffered the setback minutes into the Reds’ 2-2 draw with Manchester City in August after just returning from a cruciate ligament injury which ruled him out of the second half of the 2011-12 campaign.
However, Liverpool’s assistant manager Pascoe revealed Lucas could play 45 minutes in a reserve match against Middlesbrough on Friday.
“He knows his position, knows the angles and is a great player. It was a sad miss when we lost him – so it’ll be a great boost to the team when he’s available,” said Pascoe.
“He’s a popular character. He’s a great lad and was missed around us. We’re glad he’s back with us training and when he’s available for selection, it’ll be great to have him around again.”
He added: “He’s been unfortunate with a lot of injuries. I know that’s part and parcel of football but it can get you down and it’s nice to see Lucas with a smile on his face.
“He’s a great professional. He’s done his recovery and rehab. When you’re injured, you can’t wait to go and play football again and sometimes you can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel, but Lucas has kept his head down, worked hard and he’s looking good in training.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers