- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Paul Scholes questions Man Utd’s move for Daley Blind
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at more signings
Michael Carrick urges Man Utd to build on rare clean sheet
Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick urges the Red Devils to build on a rare clean sheet on Wednesday night
Michael Carrick wants Manchester United to build on a rare clean sheet after the Red Devils were 1-0 winners against West Ham United at Old Trafford on Wednesday night.
United striker Robin van Persie scored the crucial goal within 60 seconds of the kick-off, but Andy Carroll and Carlton Cole both came close to netting an equaliser in the second half.
It was only the Red Devils’ third clean sheet in the Premier League this term, and Carrick hopes the 19-time English champions can take confidence from an improved defensive display.
“It was by far not a classic,” Carrick told United’s website.
“Obviously we weren’t at our best and the flowing football that you want to play and the chances that you want to create didn’t quite happen. But we got a clean sheet which was quite pleasing and I thought we defended well.
He added: “A clean sheet is the biggest plus that we can take from tonight. They pumped a lot of balls into the box, asked questions and made us defend. Our two centre halves were terrific. West Ham had two big guys – as Carroll goes off, Carlton Cole comes on – and it can be tough.
“But we got the clean sheet. It is something to build on because the performance needs to be better. A second goal would’ve put us in a much better position going into the final few minutes but, in the end, we held on and we’re still in a good position at the top of the league. We are quite satisfied.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Man Utd draw at Burnley
- Chelsea set to sign Rémy from QPR
- PHOTOS: Man Utd held to draw at Burnley
- Burnley 0 Man Utd 0: Talking points
- Burnley 0 Man Utd 0: Player ratings