- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
- Wojciech Szczesny welcomes Arsenal signing David Ospina
- Gareth Bale always spoke highly of Tottenham, reveals Ben Davies
Norwich 1 Man Utd 0: The Canaries deserve credit, admits Ferguson
Norwich 1 Man Utd 0: Sir Alex Ferguson says the Canaries deserve credit after beating the Red Devils at Carrow Road
Sir Alex Ferguson admitted Norwich City deserved credit after Anthony Pilkington scored the winner against Manchester United at Carrow Road.
Javier Garrido came close to breaking the deadlock with an early effort before Robin van Persie spurned a chance to put United ahead in the 40th minute.
Chris Hughton’s side, who are now in 13th place in the Premier League, took the lead with 30 minutes remaining courtesy of Pilkington’s header after good work by Garrido.
“You’ve got to give credit to the way Norwich defended – they defended for their lives,” said Ferguson.
“The only chances we had were half chances. Their goalkeeper had a good night too. We had a lot of pressure but didn’t get the goal we needed.”
Meanwhile, Norwich’s match-winner Pilkington heaped praise on his team-mates for producing a great performance to beat the 19-time English champions.
“It’s a great day for the fans and Norwich City,” said Pilkington.
“We’ve got a great squad here and a great set of players. The management said ‘keep believing’ – that’s what we’ve done. Now we’re unbeaten in the last six games and we’re starting to beat teams.
“It’s never over until it’s over against Manchester United. They score goals in the 95th and 96th minutes and it’s hard going. But we managed to hold on and get the win.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers
- Twitter reacts to Arsenal's £16m signing
- Arsenal give Chambers No21 shirt
- Walcott welcomes Chambers to Arsenal
- Chambers's gives first Arsenal interview