QPR owner Tony Fernandes pledges support to players and management

QPR owner Tony Fernandes pledges his support to the "players and all management" after a 3-1 loss to Southampton

The Sport Review staff
By The Sport Review staff    
mark hughes
Mark Hughes' side are without a win in the Premier League Photo: The Sport Review

mark hughes

Tony Fernandes has pledged his support to “players and all management” after the Hoops suffered a 3-1 loss to Southampton at Loftus Road on Saturday.

The Saints took a first-half lead through prolific Ricky Lambert, with the striker heading past Hoops keeper Júlio César, before Jason Puncheon extended their advantage in the 43rd minute.

Junior Hoilett did offer QPR brief hope with a goal early in the second half but the Hoops were poor throughout the game, dubbed ‘El Sackico’, and a miserable display was compounded by Anton Ferdinand’s late own goal.

QPR’s majority shareholder has previously backed manager Mark Hughes after recent disappointing results, but Fernandes admitted he felt “gutted” about the defeat by the Saints.

“I have put my heart and soul into this with my other shareholders,” Fernandes posted on Twitter.

“And done all we can to give support to players and all management. I can only apologise to the QPR fans. We keep fighting.”

In a later post on Saturday night, he added: “Let me tell you fans come first. Everyone including me let the fans down. Many of us need a hard look at ourselves. QPR has amazing fans. They deserve better.”

Meanwhile, Hughes, who is currently the favourite to become the first Premier League manager to be axed, insisted he would not walk away from the club.

“The club needs stability. Maybe this is a watershed moment as we can’t get much lower. It’s my intention to see it through,” said Hughes, whose side are rooted to the bottom of the table.

“I knew this job was going to be problematic. I was quite prepared to raise expectations as I thought we’d have a good season.”

Get 16/1 enhanced odds on Man United to beat Man City. Hurry, offer ends soon. Click here and sign up for an account now. New customers only. T&Cs apply. Enhanced winnings paid in free bets.

MORE: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among players out of contract in 2018

MORE: Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Back to The Sport Review homepage

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

The Sport Review
20 Chelsea transfer targets Antonio Conte could sign in the summer
The Sport Review
Top 25 Muslim football players in Premier League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal WAGs 2017: Meet Granit Xhaka, Shkodran Mustafi and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s wives and girlfriends
The Sport Review
Roberto Firmino: 25 photos of the Liverpool forward’s stunning wife
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among 16 players out of contract in 2018
The Sport Review
Virgil van Dijk transfer: Why Chelsea could beat Liverpool to summer signing
The Sport Review
Maria Sharapova is a ‘cheater’ and shouldn’t play again, says Eugenie Bouchard
The Sport Review
Pundit: I want to see this player at Man United next season