- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
QPR transfers: Joey Barton keen to remain at Marseille after loan spell
QPR transfers: Joey Barton says it would be difficult to return to the Hoops at the end of his season-long loan at Marseille
Joey Barton believes it will be difficult to return to Queens Park Rangers at the end of his season-long loan spell at Marseille.
The 30-year-old sealed a temporary move to the Ligue 1 outfit in the summer, with ex-Hoops manager Mark Hughes deeming the former R’s skipper surplus to requirements at Loftus Road.
New boss Harry Redknapp revealed on Friday that he would be unable to recall the midfielder from the Ligue 1 outfit, and with QPR struggling, Barton is keen to stay at the French club after his acrimonious departure from the Hoops.
“For me to be part of the side that stayed up and not be part of the side that went down, it would be difficult for me to go back,” Barton told BBC Football Focus.
“It didn’t end in great circumstances in west London for me.
“I know there has been a change in terms of the management structure, but something like that, and what goes on around that, lives with you beyond a managerial change.
“I haven’t closed my mind to it although I would really like to stay here.
“I’m in a good space mentally. I’ve held preliminary talks with Marseille about extending my stay here.
“They have asked me whether I would stay beyond the loan period. The likelihood is, unless there is a massive turnaround in fortunes, QPR will be in the Championship next season.
“What it seems to me as a neutral – and I am in France, no matter that I am contracted – is that they have got a big case of a lot of good individuals, a lot of good quality individuals, but not a good team.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers
- Twitter reacts to Arsenal's £16m signing
- Arsenal give Chambers No21 shirt
- Walcott welcomes Chambers to Arsenal