- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
Reading 2 Everton 1: I’ve been ignoring the doubters – McDermott
Reading 2 Everton 1: Brian McDermott says he has been ignoring the doubters after the Royals secured their first league win
Brian McDermott revealed he has been ignoring the doubters after Reading secured a precious first Premier League victory over high-flying Everton at the Madejski Stadium.
Steven Naismith gave the visitors a first-half lead with a finish from close-range after Nikica Jelavić and Marouane Fellaini caused panic in the Reading area.
However, the Royals levelled through Adam Le Fondre before the 25-year-old scored from the spot to seal a vital three points to lift Reading out of the bottom three.
“We showed too much respect towards Everton in the first half and I just told the players at half-time to raise the tempo of our game,” McDermott told BBC Sport.
“I’ve not been listening to the doubters or reading about the doubters in the newspapers. But I will read the papers tomorrow because we have won.”
Reading striker Jason Roberts also expressed his delight at the Royals’ first Premier League victory of the season after a frustrating start to life in the top flight.
The striker posted on Twitter: “That has been coming for weeks… We never got too low amongst the group… We won’t get too high now… Football is SO MUCH better when you WIN!!!”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema