- Aaron Ramsey thrilled to see Theo Walcott return to Arsenal training
- Photos: Alexis Sánchez joins Arsenal squad ahead of Emirates Cup
- Photos: Jack Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- No player too big for Arsenal, Arsène Wenger tells Liverpool captain
- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere in best shape for years, declares Arsène Wenger
Reading 2 Everton 1: I’ve been ignoring the doubters – McDermott
Reading 2 Everton 1: Brian McDermott says he has been ignoring the doubters after the Royals secured their first league win
Brian McDermott revealed he has been ignoring the doubters after Reading secured a precious first Premier League victory over high-flying Everton at the Madejski Stadium.
Steven Naismith gave the visitors a first-half lead with a finish from close-range after Nikica Jelavić and Marouane Fellaini caused panic in the Reading area.
However, the Royals levelled through Adam Le Fondre before the 25-year-old scored from the spot to seal a vital three points to lift Reading out of the bottom three.
“We showed too much respect towards Everton in the first half and I just told the players at half-time to raise the tempo of our game,” McDermott told BBC Sport.
“I’ve not been listening to the doubters or reading about the doubters in the newspapers. But I will read the papers tomorrow because we have won.”
Reading striker Jason Roberts also expressed his delight at the Royals’ first Premier League victory of the season after a frustrating start to life in the top flight.
The striker posted on Twitter: “That has been coming for weeks… We never got too low amongst the group… We won’t get too high now… Football is SO MUCH better when you WIN!!!”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Rodríguez urges Cuadrado to join Barcelona
- 'Van Gaal won't make same mistakes as Moyes'
- Lamela hoping for 'big season' at Spurs
- Ramsey thrilled to see Walcott return to training
- No player too big for Arsenal, Wenger tells Gerrard