- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Photos: Robin van Persie & Wayne Rooney all smiles at Man Utd training
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal step up Khedira bid, Man Utd to sign Alonso
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid boss gives update on Sami Khedira
Reading 2 Everton 1: I’ve been ignoring the doubters – McDermott
Reading 2 Everton 1: Brian McDermott says he has been ignoring the doubters after the Royals secured their first league win
Brian McDermott revealed he has been ignoring the doubters after Reading secured a precious first Premier League victory over high-flying Everton at the Madejski Stadium.
Steven Naismith gave the visitors a first-half lead with a finish from close-range after Nikica Jelavić and Marouane Fellaini caused panic in the Reading area.
However, the Royals levelled through Adam Le Fondre before the 25-year-old scored from the spot to seal a vital three points to lift Reading out of the bottom three.
“We showed too much respect towards Everton in the first half and I just told the players at half-time to raise the tempo of our game,” McDermott told BBC Sport.
“I’ve not been listening to the doubters or reading about the doubters in the newspapers. But I will read the papers tomorrow because we have won.”
Reading striker Jason Roberts also expressed his delight at the Royals’ first Premier League victory of the season after a frustrating start to life in the top flight.
The striker posted on Twitter: “That has been coming for weeks… We never got too low amongst the group… We won’t get too high now… Football is SO MUCH better when you WIN!!!”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Campbell: Balotelli deal too good to turn down
- Robson: Balotelli is a bad move for Liverpool
- Limassol 1 Tottenham 2: Talking points
- Limassol 1 Tottenham 2: Player ratings
- Wenger: Wilshere is on target