- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
Tottenham’s André Villas-Boas: We may struggle to keep Gareth Bale
Tottenham Hotspur manager André Villas-Boas admits Spurs may struggle to keep hold of "amazing" Gareth Bale
André Villas-Boas has admitted Tottenham Hotspur may struggle to keep the “amazing” Gareth Bale amid interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid.
The Wales international created Aaron Lennon’s opener before scoring a free-kick in a 2-1 victory over Liverpool at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night.
Bale, who has scored six Premier League goals this term, signed a new four-year deal in June, and Villas-Boas believes it is natural for a player of Bale’s quality to be linked with a host of top clubs around Europe.
“At the moment he is performing extremely well for Spurs and we are amazed at what he can do for us. He is on to a great career,” Villas-Boas said.
“Obviously Tottenham as a football club want to keep him here for as long as we can but we understand players like this have propositions and a market, which is the nature of the game.”
Villas-Boas was pleased to secure a midweek win at White Hart Lane, although the Portuguese coach admitted Spurs were fortunate to hold on to three points after a strong second-half display from Liverpool.
“To get a win in from a midweek league fixture is important,” he added.
“We benefited from a couple of results of other teams around us tonight. We’re three points from third – we want to be third.
“Brendan feels a fair result would have been a draw – I have to agree.
“We did extremely well to hold on to the lead. We got the result we wanted. The players have shown great strength and character throughout the season.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wilshere makes a SPLASH in Arsenal training
- I'll prove my worth at West Ham, vows Jenkinson
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings