- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Photos: Joel Campbell and Abou Diaby shine in Arsenal U21 win
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger: Classy Lionel Messi deserves Ballon d’Or
Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger believes Lionel Messi should win this year's Ballon d'Or award because of his "class"
Arsène Wenger believes Lionel Messi deserves to win the 2012 Ballon d’Or because of his “outrageous” year for Barcelona.
The Argentina international has netted a remarkable 82 goals this calendar year, just three short of the record set by Gerd Mueller back in 1972.
Arsenal boss Wenger believes the Barcelona forward would be a worthy winner but concedes that Ronaldo and Iniesta are also deserving candidates.
“It’s very difficult. For the class, Messi [should win it],” Wenger said. “He’s scored 76 goals in one year. It looks just outrageous to me. Therefore it would be one thing to reward something exceptional.
“Ronaldo has always been there and he deserves it as well. He won the Spanish championship. Iniesta won the European Championship with the national team and therefore, you could reward him.
“I’m not a big fan of these things. If you judge purely on class, you judge Messi. If you want the achievement of the year, you would choose Ronaldo and maybe Iniesta in second. That’s how I see it.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Rodgers: It isn't the Balotelli show
- Mourinho: Costa major doubt for Everton clash
- Aston Villa v Sunderland: Tickets available
- Mourinho wants to keep Torres
- PHOTOS: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool