Chelsea must forget Champions League heartache, says Torres
Fernando Torres says Chelsea cannot afford to dwell on their Champions League exit ahead of Fifa Club World Cup opener
Fernando Torres admits Chelsea’s Champions League exit was a huge disappointment but insists the Blues have no time to dwell on their European failure.
Chelsea became the first Champions League holders to fail to navigate their way out of the group stage, with the west Londoners finishing third in their group and being forced to settle for a place in the last 32 of the Europa League.
Rafael Benítez’s side are currently in Japan preparing for their Fifa Club World Cup opener against Monterrey on Thursday as Chelsea bid to win their first trophy of the season after missing out on the Community Shield and Uefa Super Cup.
And although Torres concedes last week’s Champions League disappointment was difficult to swallow, the 28-year-old has told his team-mates that they must move on and focus on the task at hand.
“It was a dream to win it last season and we wanted to do it again this time to be the first team to do two in a row, and it’s a big disappointment to go out in the group stage,” Torres, who has scored four goals in his last two games, told Chelsea’s website.
“Nothing can make up for it but we must look forward, we are in a different competition now, the Europa League, and we want to win that too to play in and win another Super Cup.
“But now we must forget the Champions League, because we are out, and focus on this [the Club World Cup] instead.
“There are not many chances to play in this competition, so we have to take it. Who knows if we will play in another one?”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Moyes writes letter to Man Utd fans
- Rodgers: It's about more than just trophies
- Mata 'really happy' at Man Utd
- Mourinho hints at move for Varane
- Flamini targets Everton scalp and cup glory