- Jason Robinson backs Sam Burgess to jump from League to Union
- Aviva Premiership: Will Helu eyeing London Wasps starting spot
- Guinness Pro12: Jones eyes starting spot after penning Glasgow deal
- Aviva Premiership: Billy Twelvetrees named Gloucester captain
- Ireland’s Tommy Bowe hoping to put injury woes behind him
- Six Nations 2014: France secure thrilling win over Scotland
England’s Dan Cole one of the world’s best props, says Heyneke Meyer
Former Leicester coach Heyneke Meyer says England's Dan Cole is one of the best props in the world
Dan Cole has been hailed as one of the best props in the world by South Africa and former Leicester coach Heyneke Meyer after some impressive displays during the autumn internationals.
Cole was part of a powerful Red Rose scrum and is expected to be a key member of England’s 2013 Six Nations campaign alongside Alex Corbisiero.
The English scrum particularly impressed against South Africa, although Meyer’s side managed to come away with a 16-15 win at Twickenham last month.
And having coached the 25-year-old during a short spell with the Tigers back in 2008, Meyer has been impressed with the way he has pushed on.
In particular Meyer picked out Cole’s ability around the park, in addition to his set-piece work, with the England man looking a strong contender for a British & Irish Lions spot alongside Welshman Adam Jones.
“Dan Cole is very close to being the best tighthead in the world and I think he can go on to become that. I really rate him,” said Meyer.
“What makes him such a great player is that as well as being a great scrummager, he is one of the best ball stealers I have seen. He really gets around.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Connacht surprise season ticket holders
- Jones excited after Blues switch
- Jones signs one-year Glasgow deal
- Pivac pleased with Scarlets's performance
- Williams admits pre-season nerves