- Azerbaijan signs contract to host 2016 Formula 1 Grand Prix of Europe
- Hungarian Grand Prix 2014: Lewis Hamilton battles to third-place finish
- British Grand Prix 2012: Jenson Button eyes Silverstone triumph
- Max Chilton: A Formula 1 pay driver or a sponsorship gold mine?
- Jenson Button insists he is not concerned about F1 future
Fernando Alonso: My Formula 1 title challenge was a ‘miracle’
Ferarri's Fernando Alonso claims it was a miracle for him to have launched a challenge for the 2012 Formula 1 drivers' title
Fernando Alonso says it was a “miracle” he was able to mount a challenge for the Formula 1 drivers’ championship title in 2012 with Ferrari.
“It was a miracle to see, race after race, what we managed to achieve,” said Alonso. “I drove the best season of my life and now I can only think of the year to come.
“Before, people had a more or less good opinion of me, but now I notice a whole different level of respect.
“To be one of the greats of Formula 1, it’s not enough to win titles; you must also tackle seasons like the one that has just ended.”
Alonso also responded to the news that the FIA would not be investigating an overtaking manoeuvre by Vettel at the Brazilian Grand Prix in which the German driver appeared to pass a Toro Rosso in a yellow caution zone, where overtaking is forbidden.
F1′s governing body said that the move was legitimate because Vettel had started the move after passing a green flag, indicating the end of the yellow zone.
“There were a lot of video clips on the internet and we knew our fans were asking for an explanation, so it was right for Ferrari to turn to the federation for clarification,” he added.
“We got a reply and I think everything has now calmed down.
“Frankly, I’m not that interested in what the opinion is of me in Germany or elsewhere. What I know is that people who see me in the streets hug me and call me gladiator or samurai.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Hamilton battles to third-place finish
- Hamilton's title bid up in flames
- Azerbaijan lands 2016 Grand Prix
- Hamilton satisfied with podium finish
- Hamilton vows to race through pain