- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Man Utd transfers: Angel di Maria welcome at PSG, says Edinson Cavani
- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal is a Juve player, insists Beppe Marotta
Fulham’s Jol: I was interested in signing Newcastle’s Cissé
Fulham manager Martin Jol admits he was interested in signing Papiss Cissé before the striker moved to Newcastle United
Martin Jol has admitted he was interested in signing Senegal international Papiss Cissé before the striker moved to Newcastle United in January.
The 27-year-old has scored 13 goals in 14 Premier League games after completing a £8m switch from Freiburg to St James’ Park earlier this year.
The west London outfit face the Magpies at Craven Cottage on Monday night, and although Jol was keen on Cissé, the Fulham boss is happy to have signed Dimitar Berbatov this summer.
“He [Cissé] was always on my list. I can’t lie so I have to say yes,” said Jol. “He made the choice for Newcastle and that was it.
“[There were] three or four last year that were too expensive or they stayed and he was one of them.
“He was top scorer in Germany and played for not the biggest club. It’s always a little gamble.
“With Berbatov it will be the same – [Arsène] Wenger said he didn’t know he was on the transfer list. So there will be other clubs thinking: ‘Oh, we could have had him’.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Evra: Van Gaal sorry to see me leave
- Atletico rules out Cazorla bid
- Koeman rules out Schneiderlin exit
- 'Mourinho must sign Lukaku replacement'
- Napoli confirm Fellaini interest