- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at more signings
- Photos: Joel Campbell and Abou Diaby shine in Arsenal U21 win
Lionel Messi: This record is amazing and I want to do it again in 2013
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi declares he wants to beat his record of 86 goals in a calendar year in 2013
Lionel Messi has already targeted breaking his new record of 86 goals for a calendar year in 2013 after eclipsing Gerd Müller’s feat on Sunday night.
The 25-year-old scored both of Barcelona’s goals in a 2-1 win over Real Betis to secure the three points for Tito Vilanova’s side and beat Müller’s record for goals scored in a calendar year, which had stood since 1972.
“The record is amazing because of what it means, but the most important thing is that the team won and that we maintained the distance between us and the rest,” said Messi.
“We knew it’d be difficult coming here beause Betis play good football and are doing very well in the league. It’s a huge win for us.”
Despite his record-breaking 2012, the forward promised he would not rest on his laurels, and was eager to have an equally successful 2013.
“My aim for next year is to do it all again,” he said.
Messi added beating the record did not necessarily mean he deserved to win the Ballon d’Or next month, and said he would be equally pleased if his team-mate Andrés Iniesta won it.
“If Iniesta wins it it’ll be thoroughly deserved because of all that he has achieved. It would be a prize for the whole Barcelona dressing room.”
It took Messi 66 games to get to this figure, while Müller got his in 60. The Barça forward has scored 56 goals in 35 La Liga matches this season and last, three goals in seven Copa del Rey encounters, two in the Supercopa, 13 in the Champions League and 12 with Argentina in nine internationals.
Messi still has three matches left to add to his account. Barcelona are to visit Córdoba in the Copa del Rey, host Atlético and go to Valladolid before the year is out.
For the best sports news from Spain without picking up a dictionary, visit www.as.com/english◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Gerrard: Balotelli can be a star for Liverpool
- Özil: Arsenal can reach Champions League final
- Özil is not getting enough praise, says Wenger
- Pochettino: Fazio must adapt to Spurs philosophy
- Rose: Pochettino has already improved me