- Video: Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic stars as Reds beat Man City
- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Steven Gerrard looked up Liverpool signing Lazar Markovic on YouTube
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
Liverpool transfers: Rodgers looking to strengthen squad in January
Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers says he hopes to strengthen his squad in the January transfer window
Brendan Rodgers has revealed he hopes to strengthen his Liverpool squad in January after watching his side suffer a disappointing 3-1 loss to Aston Villa on Saturday.
Christian Benteke scored either side of half-time and Andreas Weimann netted his third Premier League goal of the season as Paul Lambert’s side caused an upset on Merseyside.
A wave of optimism had swept across Anfield since recording successive league victories with a victory at Upton Park last weekend – but Rodgers warned the club’s fans there is still a lot of work to do.
“That was probably as disappointing as we’ve been here but I couldn’t put my finger on it,” said Rodgers.
“It is a strange thing football. We were talked up all week about us being top-four material but we know within the group we still have a long way to go.
“There is going to be steady progress and there are going to be steps forward, like in the last few weeks, and a step backward like yesterday.
“We looked at the first six months to assess: we know we need some support and hopefully we can get that in. We understand the process as well but the most important thing is to learn from it [the defeat].
“The thing we’ve learned from yesterday is that you can’t ever be complacent. You have to be at full tilt every week. If we do that we have a great chance of getting the points but if we don’t you can get punished.
“The challenge for us now is to have a good week’s training and come back next Saturday and hopefully get three points and get on the upward curve again.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Three reasons why Vidal should join Man Utd
- Markovic stars as Liverpool beat Man City
- Gerrard excited by Liverpool's summer signings
- Torres is staying at Chelsea, insists Mourinho
- Moreno should reject Liverpool, says Aspas