- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Man Utd transfers: Thomas Müller confirms Red Devils snub
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Red Devils only need two new top players’
Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers quashes Pepe Reina rumours
Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers insists he won't be looking to sell Reds keeper Pepe Reina in the January transfer window
Brendan Rodgers has rubbished speculation linking Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina with a move away from Anfield in January.
The 30-year-old has endured a difficult start to the campaign after making a number of high-profile errors before suffering a hamstring injury which left the shot-stopper sidelined in October.
Rodgers was reported to be considering selling Reina and making a move for Birmingham City’s Jack Butland or Hannover’s Ron-Robert Zieler next month.
But the Liverpool manager has insisted Reina is part of his long-term plans.
“I don’t like to talk about speculation as I know in my time at Liverpool the names we have been linked with has been incredible,” Rodgers said.
“We have been linked with lots of goalkeepers. I have two very good goalkeepers – Pepe Reina and Brad Jones, who is a very loyal and capable number two.
“Any areas we look to improve will be elsewhere.”
He added: “Pepe Reina is clearly our number one goalkeeper, one of the best goalkeepers in the league.
“He had a difficult couple of years but for me his best years are ahead of him and his commitment to the cause and what we are trying to achieve is 150 per cent.
“Pepe has taken on board himself to do a lot of work to get in the best possible state he can be in physically and mentally and I am so happy with him.
“He is a great man and has been a wonderful player for me in this short period of time, on and off the field.
“I can see him starting to get back to the level he set here, which was a really high standard, and hopefully that continues.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Balotelli set to complete Liverpool move
- Jones: Liverpool need a striker
- Ancelotti: Khedira has not asked to leave
- Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Carragher: Balotelli good value at £16m