- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Liverpool youngster Jonjo Shelvey vows to improve goal record
Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey vows to improve his strike-rate ahead of the Reds' vital Europa League clash against Udinese
Jonjo Shelvey has vowed to improve his Liverpool goal record ahead of the Reds’ crunch clash against Udinese in the Europa League on Thursday.
Shelvey, who has been used in a variety of different midfield roles by Brendan Rodgers this term, is keen to improve his strike-rate and cement a place in Liverpool’s first-team.
“I’ve always been able to get into the box. I should’ve scored a few more in the last few weeks too,” he said. “I’ve got into some good positions but not put the ball in the net. But I think the goals will come.
“I want to stay here for a long time and to be a regular in the team. To do that I know the manager has to be able to rely on me.
“If you look at lads like Stevie and Carra, they did it when they were my age – they lived up to their billing. I’m trying to do the same. When Liverpool made an offer, accepting it was the easiest choice I have ever had.”
Shelvey has already made 111 first-team appearances for Charlton Athletic, Blackpool and Liverpool since making his professional debut in 2007, and the England international believes the experience of playing in the lower leagues has helped him develop.
“I know a lot of my appearances came in the lower leagues but I’ve played over a century of senior games,” he added.
“That’s nothing compared to some players but it’s good experience. I see myself as someone who can help the younger lads.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers
- Twitter reacts to Arsenal's £16m signing
- Arsenal give Chambers No21 shirt
- Walcott welcomes Chambers to Arsenal