- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Man City v Man Utd: Citizens get too many penalties, claims Sir Alex
Man City v Man Utd: Sir Alex Ferguson believes there would be a "protest" if Red Devils got as many penalties as their rivals
Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed that there would be “protest” if Manchester United received the same number of penalties as Manchester City.
Roberto Mancini’s men have been awarded four spot-kicks in their last three home games and Ferguson, whose United side travel to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, feels the statistics would be more heavily scrutinised if his team were the beneficiaries.
“The number of penalty kicks they get – 21 in the last year or something like that. If we got that number of penalty kicks there’d be an inquiry in the House of Commons. There’d be a protest,” said Ferguson.
The Manchester United manager, whose side are three points clear of their fierce rivals at the top of the table, admits City are now the Red Devils’ “biggest threat” to their dominance of the Premier League.
“Liverpool and United games over the last 25 years have been unbelievable,” he added. “They’ve always been the most important games. It’s shifted because at this moment Liverpool aren’t challenging for the league like City are.
“City are our biggest threat and we’re their biggest threat, so that’s changed. Their fortunes changed the minute Sheikh Mansour took over. We know the minute that happened it was going to be a different ball game altogether.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Redknapp: Falcao will fire Man Utd into top four
- Smith: Welbeck only wanted Arsenal move
- PHOTO: Wilshere and Hart all smiles
- Madrid already missing Alonso & Di Maria
- Mertesacker: Arsenal's Chambers has everything