- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at more signings
- Mauricio Pochettino discusses whether Spurs signing will face Liverpool
Man Utd’s Sir Alex Ferguson: Robin van Persie getting better with age
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes Robin van Persie is getting better with age
Sir Alex Ferguson believes Robin van Persie will continue to get better as he matures after netting his 12th Premier League goal this season.
The Netherlands international has been in scintillating form and continued his goal-scoring streak in the Red Devils’ 3-1 victory over Sunderland.
It took Van Persie’s overall tally to 15 goals since joining in a £24m deal this summer, and Ferguson has been impressed with the former Arsenal captain’s impact at Old Trafford.
“He has a fantastic record,” Ferguson told ITV. “What you are seeing is a player who has come to his mature years.
“Experience is counting for him now. He has the knowledge and ability and last season his form was terrific.
“Even Arsenal, having had him for a few years, were realising what his best position is. We do the same.”
Chris Smalling has also been left impressed by how effortlessly the striker has settled at Old Trafford, admitting the United defence are benefiting from Van Persie’s electric form.
“I saw the finish,” said Smalling. “It wasn’t easy to put it in that top corner but he is a quality player.
“Obviously he only came in the summer and didn’t have much of a pre-season.
“But he came straight into the matches and has been such a threat. He is putting teams on the back foot and making our job easier at the back.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Man Utd are making progress, says Van Gaal
- Fowler blasts disrespectful Van Gaal
- West Ham sign Song on season-long loan deal
- Hazard 'feeling good' back at Chelsea
- PHOTOS: Arsenal train ahead of Leicester trip