- US Open 2014: Djokovic & Federer top seeds, Dimitrov makes top-8 debut
- US Open 2014: Serena Williams heads women’s singles seeds
- Roger Federer at 33: It’s not about the records, it’s the emotions
- Cincinnati Masters: Fearsome Federer cuts down Ferrer again for 80th title
- US Open 2014: Rafael Nadal to miss Flushing Meadows due to wrist injury
- Sampras & Agassi reminisce on old rivalry: ‘He was the best I ever played’
Rafael Nadal pulls out of Australian Open after stomach virus
Rafael Nadal is forced to withdraw from the Australian Open after a stomach bug delayed his return from a knee problem
Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Australian Open after a stomach virus delayed his return to action.
The Spaniard, who has been suffering from tendinitis in his knee, has not played since his shock second-round defeat by Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon back in June.
The 26-year-old had been due to make his comeback at an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi last week but was forced to withdraw after picking up a stomach bug.
And the French Open champion confirmed on Friday that he has been forced to pull out of the first Grand Slam of 2013, meaning that he has now missed two Majors in a row.
A statement posted on Nadal’s Facebook page read: “As my team and doctors say, the safest thing to do is to do things well and this virus has delayed my plans of playing these weeks.
“I will have to wait until the Acapulco tournament to compete again although I could consider to play before at any other ATP event
“My knee is much better and the rehabilitation process has gone well as predicted by the doctors, but this virus didn’t allow me to practice this past week and therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open, as we had initially scheduled.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Williams is top seed at US Open
- Djokovic top seed at US Open ahead of Federer
- Federer secures his place at ATP World Tour Finals
- Nadal to miss US Open due to injury
- Williams beats Ivanovic to Cincinnati title