- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Steven Gerrard: Liverpool must close in on fourth place this month
Steven Gerrard calls on Liverpool to keep up their good run and close the gap to fourth place during Decemeber
Steven Gerrard has called on Liverpool to build on their recent good form by closing in on a Champions League place this month.
The Reds came from behind to secure a 3-2 victory at West Ham United on Sunday to move them within four points of fourth-placed Everton as Brendan Rodgers’ men chase Champions League qualification for next season.
Gerrard was thrilled with his side’s resilience against the Hammers, especially as the Merseysiders were without suspended talisman Luis Suárez, and the Liverpool captain is hoping the Reds can emerge out of the hectic festive fixture schedule in fourth spot.
“I’m really pleased with the lads. It was a fantastic performance,” Gerrard told the Liverpool Echo after Sunday’s game at Upton Park.
“I think before the game people were doubting us and thinking we would be a bit toothless in the final third without our top striker.
“But we’ve gone away from home, scored three goals and got the three points we came here for.
“If we can capitalise and make it 12 points out of 12 then we will find ourselves a lot closer to fourth.
“It’s a platform to build on. We just have to focus on Villa now. Come the end of December we’re really looking to be close to that fourth position.”
Liverpool host Aston Villa at Anfield in the Premier League on Saturday.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Big wins for Aberdeen and Dundee
- Phelan: Welbeck exit has 'broken' Man Utd's identity
- Arsenal's Wilshere: Welbeck joining a great club
- Borini posts cryptic Instagram message
- Ricky who? Sterling had to Google Rodgers joke