- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
- Photos: Joel Campbell and Abou Diaby shine in Arsenal U21 win
Tottenham transfers: Fernando Llorente set to leave Bilbao on a free
Tottenham transfers: Striker Fernando Llorente confirms he is set to quit Athletic Bilbao on a free transfer next summer
Tottenham are among the Premier League clubs to have been put on alert after Fernando Llorente confirmed he is to leave Athletic Bilbao on a free transfer next summer.
The 27-year-old striker has rejected Bilbao’s offer of a new deal and insisted his decision to quit the club was not to do with money.
“Yes, I’m leaving on June 30,” said Llorente. “I want to try other things. I made [my decision] when I played my first match at San Mames in the Europa League.
“Let it be clearly stated – it is not an economic issue. Athletic’s offer was irresistible.
“The press has not really helped my renewal. It is one of the reasons that bad feeling has been generated towards me on the field [from the fans], and that’s what has prompted me to not renew. That, along with many other things.
“You [the media] have not helped because most of what has come out in the press has been lies, but people have tipped the balance against me.
“That has come out on the field, with people blowing their whistles. It is [only] a section that wants me out, I respect that. I feel loved by most of the Athletic fans.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Why Bilbao will be a force in group stage
- Fantasy Football: This weekend's best picks
- Van Gaal hints at further Man Utd signings
- 'Man Utd target Cuadrado staying at Fiorentina'
- Man Utd's Rojo still waiting for work permit