- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
West Brom transfers: We’ll have money to spend, says Steve Clarke
West Brom transfers: Steve Clarke is sure he will have money to spend in the January transfer window if necessary
Steve Clarke is expecting to have funds at his disposal in January to strengthen his West Bromwich Albion squad.
Clarke’s side have enjoyed a remarkable start to the Premier League season and are currently in fifth place in the table despite have lost their last two games.
However, the Albion boss is braced to lose some of his key players to the Africa Cup of Nations in the new year, with Clarke expecting striker Peter Odemwingie to be called up by Nigeria and midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu to be included in Democratic Republic of Congo’s squad.
But Clarke is sure he will have money to spend should he be forced to bring in reinforcements in the January window.
“There’s a possibility we lose a couple of players to the Africa Cup of Nations, we could lose players to injury, but when we get closer to the end of the month we’ll start to make decisions,” said Clarke.
“I haven’t really discussed with the chairman [Jeremy Peace] about the way forward in January. That’s why we have a technical director. He’s the buffer. We have spoken about what we might need to do in January.
“If the chairman, Dan [Ashworth] and I decide we need to strengthen the squad, then we can do that. Is there money there? Yes, I think it is.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Ricky who? Sterling had to Google Rodgers joke
- Redknapp: Borini's wage demands prevented deal
- Lamela wishes Sandro 'all the best' at QPR
- Özil backs Welbeck to net plenty of Arsenal goals
- Welbeck to wear number 23 shirt for Arsenal