- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Wigan transfers: Martínez won’t stop McCarthy from leaving in the future
Wigan transfers: Latics boss Roberto Martínez says he won't stop James McCarthy from a move to a big club in the future
Roberto Martínez says Wigan Athletic will not prevent James McCarthy from moving to a bigger club in the future if the midfielder feels it is time for a new challenge.
The Republic of Ireland international has been in impressive form for Wigan this term, scoring twice in a 2-2 draw with Queens Park Rangers last weekend.
The Latics have previously allowed exciting talents, such as Antonio Valencia and Victor Moses, to leave the club after impressive spells at the DW Stadium.
Martínez believes McCarthy has the potential to excel at any club regardless of stature – but for now the Wigan boss is keen to keep hold of the 22-year-old.
“James McCarthy’s got the potential to play anywhere in the world and whenever he’s ready we’ll never stop him,” Martínez told Wigan Evening Post.
“But James McCarthy is at a very good club now and we want top players to stay here for as long as we can.”
“At 22 to have the tactical awareness that he has and to be so consistent week in, week out…
“James knows he needs another period of improvement, but from a technical point of view he can play in any team in the world and he will do one day.
“We just enjoy seeing him grow and seeing him enjoy his football and being an important player for us and at international level.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck