- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal coy on Javier Hernandez future
Africa Cup of Nations 2013: Rohr promises more to come from Niger
Africa Cup of Nations 2013: Niger manager Gernot Rohr promises that there is more to come from his side after a draw with Congo
Gernot Rohr says that there is more to come from Niger after they picked up their first-ever point at the Africa Cup of Nations thanks to a history-making performance against the Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a stubborn defensive display, the Mena held the Leopards to a well-deserved draw, and even had chances to win the game, as Modibo Sidibe hit the post early on.
It took the Mena five attempts to earn that elusive point, but Rohr felt his side have progressed massively from the team that lost three and managed to net just once in Afcon 2012, their first-ever appearance.
“With such great players from Niger, you can only be proud of them,” said Rohr.
“I’m very happy we have made some kind of history by collecting our first Cup of Nations point, hopefully more now can quickly follow. We have made some progress in this competition after losing all three matches in Gabon last year and we are only going to get better with this experience.”
His counterpart in the opposite dug-out, Claude Le Roy was less than impressed with his sides’ performance, as they struggled to match their efforts from their first game against Ghana.
The veteran of seven tournaments – his last being when he led the Congolese to the quarter-finals in 2006 – saw the match as a missed chance.
“It’s a missed opportunity,” said Le Roy.
“It was possible for us to move forward. We have to concede that after we missed the two chances we did not play well and it’s not good enough.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Aurier confirms Arsenal approach
- Cavani won't rule out PSG exit
- Fàbregas: I'll shine with Torres for Chelsea
- PHOTOS: Wilshere returns to Arsenal training
- Pellegrini eyes further Man City signings